Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Having a Voice by Voting at Convention

 

Carol Herzog

As a member of the Society, I not only belong to DKG but DKG also belongs to me. I make the Society what I want it to be. I am responsible for making changes to the governing documents so that they reflect how I would like to see the Society function.

I can propose amendments to the Society documents by completing the Proposed Amendments Form when it becomes available each biennium. After it is reviewed by the International Constitution Committee and the Administrative Board, my amendment is then published in the DKG NEWS for other members to consider. When it is presented for a vote to the convention, I have the right to speak to my amendment. Making my voice heard is one-way DKG belongs to me.

Not only do I have the right to speak to an amendment that I propose, but I can speak to any amendment that is presented to the convention. I can speak for or against any amendment. It is important for me to step to the microphone and share my opinion. I might have a perspective of which no one else has thought. Then I, as a member, get to cast my vote. I have a voice in what we do as a Society.

The Constitution and International Standing Rules are available on the DKG website for each member to review and consider where and what she feels should be amended to reflect how we function as a Society of the members and for the members. All proposed amendments are published in the March/April issue of the DKG NEWS. Please read through them, be prepared to discuss them, and vote on them to let your voice be heard as a member of DKG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts