Search This Blog

Thursday, April 27, 2023

DKG Art Gallery Spotlight: “Where would I be without art?”

Michele Olinde

Louisiana State Organization, Alpha Alpha

The burning question for our featured artist this month is, Where would I be without art? For many of us who are artists of any median, art becomes an outlet for expression. Taken as a career choice, art can mold our everyday life with joy.  For this north Louisiana artist, Michele Olinde feels most joyful when she is creating art.  Through her career, Michele has focused her love for design with a goal to create a quality, school program for the arts.  With over thirty years’ experience in art education, she has accomplished her goal.  Even with her retirement recently, Michele continues to express her artistic talents at the college level as an adjunct professor.  This natural extension of her life-long work with students seems to fill her cup with satisfying joy.  Take a stroll with the Arts and Humanities blog post to read more on Michele’s insights and advice to other aspiring visual artists.

Tell us about yourself as an educator and an artist.

I am a mixed media artist based out of West Monroe, Louisiana. I acquired a degree in advertising design, illustration and drawing in 1985 from Northeast Louisiana University. I was formally trained in a variety of art media and shortly after receiving my bachelor’s degree, I returned to N.L.U. receiving my master's degree in education with a minor in history. For approximately 30 plus years, my focus has been on production of a quality art program at the high school level in northeast Louisiana. Much of this time was spent teaching gifted art at West Ouachita High School. My private artwork has been displayed in various art exhibits and competitions throughout the state. Common subject matter includes mixed media portraits, whimsical ink drawings and romantic landscapes with a loose, impressionistic style. In May of 2022, I retired from teaching in the public system and have decided to try new venues to display my own Olinde creations- (culturalyst.com/olindefinearts)

Tell us what inspired you and how you developed the art you entered in the gallery.

I love the creative journey required of me when an artwork is underway in my studio. Most of my art can find inspiration in three sources: my three children, nature, and new combinations of art media with unusual compositions.

Of course, my three children inspired me as the world was shiny and new when they were young and naïve. They were my models when a certain pose was needed and my inspiration when events occurred that moved me to grab the camera or snap the pic, unaware of my presence. Portraits are challenging to draw in any media and if you achieve a likeness, it’s a success in my eyes. For example, “Youthful Innocence” is a whimsical portrait of my son in Prisma color colored pencil, juxtaposed with a background of his favorite toys and candy from his youth.

Second, is nature which is visible in my tree paintings, my snail mania piece, and many other pieces I have submitted in the gallery. Juxtaposed compositions are my favorite! The snail mania piece is based on a diagonal so you are constantly moving with the design. The Zentangles are decorative using patterns that overlap and change constantly provoking visual interest.

Lastly, is the use of new media or a combination of two or more media in a new way. “Copper Cups” is an acrylic still life painting on smooth wood. I usually draw with ink on wood but just to change it up a bit, I tried acrylic and it worked. It wasn’t easy, but I loved the end result.

What is the best advice you have been given?

Without hesitation, I was told years ago that starting with a subject you love will move you to produce a successful work of art. Also, go back to direct observation whenever possible so your elements are true. For example, the richest colors of a landscape painting are found in the original reference picture. The rough bark of a tree is better observed than just imagined.

What does the value of the Creative Arts in Education mean to you?

This question hits an emotional response in me. Where would I be without art? I was one of those daydreamers in school that looked outside or inside my head for a more interesting environment to lose myself. Art was offered after school for me in high school and that might explain why my day seemed to last forever!

 

I can’t believe some schools are losing their brick-and-mortar classrooms in exchange for virtual art appreciation classes. I believe beginning and advanced art courses should be considered core classes for a comprehensive well rounded high school education. Art allows most students a breath of fresh air from the subjects that require so much concentration that the right-brained visual learner wants to hold up a white flag and call it quits. Also, it allows creative thinking to be a welcome part of the school day. How are we going to prepare our students to improve products or change business practices for the better unless we allow them to think creatively every day?

 

Do you have anything else you want to add?

My main goal in creating art of any kind is to be original with my subject matter. I want to create work that celebrates the good in life and every detail that makes it new and exciting. I want to get the attention of all ages by capturing moments in our journey from youth to old age that sparks a happy memory or two. I want my audience to be moved by my work and actively question how, when, where and why it was created. I hope all the answers aren’t easy and they push the viewer to critically analyze my work as an artist.

The Arts and Humanities Jury Committee loves the passion and voice that we hear in our artists’ words.  They have so much insight into the creative arts through their years of experiences and tried and true practice and in Michele’s case, teaching her passion.   Let’s keep the conversation going to encourage others to create their art and to celebrate the good in life. Be sure to use the comment section below to suggest new topics, ask questions, or give us your input. We love hearing from our readers and gaining new ones.  Spread the word!

 

2 comments:

  1. MIchele's students were fortunate to work with you. Your talent and knowledge and training show in the work that you produce. I can only imagine the wonderful work your students also created.....Jackie Thomas, dkg Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, your work is beautiful. I am a water colorist by hobby and a mathematics teacher by trade. They say I am both right and left brained in being able to do both directives. I most heartedly agree with you about art education at the high school level. Hands on is so much more effective in learning than taking a visual course outside the classroom. The interaction amount students, seeing what others are producing, challenges an individual to push beyond their comfort zone and explore other avenuses of

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts