Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Someone Believed in Your Potential

As you accepted an invitation to become a member of The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International, your chapter and its members became a valuable resource to you.  As time went by, you watched your chapter leaders.  You noticed their qualities – compassion, strength, listening, organization, passion for DKG.  You decided there is a path for you to follow too.  Leaders can do that for us.  They inspire us to want to be like them.  To emulate what we see, hear, and feel.

That is what happened to me.  I saw how our chapter leaders truly embraced Delta Kappa Gamma.  I wanted to know more, so I attended my first state organization meeting.  Wow!  There was a whole room of women who I wanted to be like.  First, I became a chapter leader.  After a while I was approached about becoming a state organization leader.  I put myself out there and was rewarded time after time with the honor of leading our state organization members in various roles.  Of course, as a state organization leader, I began attending international events.  A bigger wow was coming.  A huge room of women who I wanted to be like was all around me.  Several years later and with many international committee assignments under my belt, I can truly say the leadership journey has been fulfilling. 

So what is the message? I turn to the following statement from the Honor of Membership - Someone believed in your potential. 

If I had never been approached to become a member, I would not have the opportunities I not only sought for myself, but were suggested to me as well.    

In the coming weeks, if you have the good fortune of attending a state organization convention/meeting or even more fortunate to attend the International Convention, look around you and see how the women of DKG are living up to their potential.  When you are back in your chapter meetings, formulate a plan to attract educators who have the potential to add their expertise to your chapter and most importantly to our International Society.

International Educational Excellence Committee

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder. However, please sign your name since you are using the first person pronoun as the author. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts