Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Impacting Education Worldwide




In an attempt to better acquaint you with World Fellowship recipients, the World Fellowship Committee will use this blog to share excerpts from the personal narratives we received during the application process.  These narratives are powerful examples of the challenges many of these women encounter as they pursue their educational dreams and aspirations.  We would like to introduce you to Bethanie, from Haiti, a 2017-2018 award recipient.




My mother committed suicide when I was 10 years old, leaving behind my dad, my 5 siblings, and me. Tormented by the fear to see his daughters raped and his sons enroll in street gangs, my father made the sacrifice of sending my siblings and me to stay with relatives and friends throughout the country. I ended up in Petion-Ville, where I lived with my cousin. There, I completed my elementary and secondary education. Despite all the home chores that I had to do, I was lucky enough to be a quick learner and earn good grades. After admission to my 4th year in high school, my cousin announced that she could no longer help pay my school tuitions. I did not know what was going to happen, but I knew that I did not want to drop out of school. Through prayers and the generosity of others, I received donations in the form of books, uniforms, shoes, and other supplies needed to go to school like all my friends. And while I did not have any idea about how the school tuition was going to be paid for, I ran after my dream to stay in my former high school. I attended school the first trimester with the complicity of my classmates and teachers, who helped me hide under the desk and in the class cabinet every time the accountant tried to chase me out and send me home. All of those experiences have reinforced my commitment to overcome poverty and to bring about social and economic changes in my country.”

Our committee experienced a range of emotions as we read these narratives.  We hope sharing these experiences will expand members’ knowledge about the importance of The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International and how we are “Educating the World, One Woman at a Time.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts