Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2021

Spotlight on Gallery Artist - Valerie Millet, Upsilon, Louisiana

Inspired by her love of nature and a background growing up in a small, “everyone knows your name” south Louisiana community, this DKG Gallery artist, Valerie Millet, hails from Upsilon Chapter of the Louisiana State Organization. In the floodplains of the Mississippi River, a deeply-rooted Louisiana native from St. James Parish, Valerie agreed to share her artist insights in a Q&A format. Enjoy this sojourn into Valerie’s beautiful story and her Spotlight responses. Her two-dimensional art is reflective of her childhood and continues to influence her strong belief in the importance of encouraging young and seasoned artists through the creative arts.  

“Peace at Peggy’s Cove,” is a 2-D oil painting of Peggy’s Cove in Nova Scotia. It was done after we traveled there to explore our Acadian heritage. I am grateful for my retirement years, so I can go back to my “file” and paint what had left such a lasting impression on me.”   

“Rocker Repose” was inspired by a black and white photo taken on the porch of my home in the small farming town of Grand Point, Louisiana.  A place that for many years was not even on maps.”   

What plays an important part in your artistic process?  

“I love nature.  My husband and I have always loved to travel, from the time we were rearing our three young daughters until now, and most of our trips revolve around our appreciation for the outdoors. Almost every picture I take is with the intention of creating a “file” to go back and paint or sketch from one day.”   

What is your preferred medium and why?  

“I like oil painting very much, but at home, I also “play” with water colors, acrylics, and pastels. My all-time favorite is the pencil. It’s so easy to grab, no clean-up required, can just take minutes if that’s all the time you have, and I just simply love creating an image with shading. I can remember how much I enjoyed a pencil and drawing pad as a child.” 

What is the best piece of artistic advice you’ve been given? 

“I won’t forget one thing that a wonderful teacher from the Baton Rouge Fine Arts Academy tried to instill within me…my painting does not need to be a perfect rendition of the picture I am looking at.  It should be a “free” expression of what I see and what I want to carry over from it.  That was the best advice I could have received. I can be a perfectionist.” 

What does the value of Art in Education mean to you? 

“One thing as a teacher that I came to realize quickly, is that kids love art. It offers them a form of expression and a sense of joy in what they create.  I would say that is especially true for students with disabilities. It is a great tool for encouraging students and creating a non-threatening learning environment for them.”  

 *Valerie Millet, Retired Special Education Teacher, Grand Point, LA 

Is there one more thing you’d like us to know? 

“Growing up with a special needs sister was probably the thing that influenced my choice to pursue a degree in education, with an emphasis in special education. In May of 2009, I was initiated in Upsilon Chapter and have remained an active member of our wonderful South District group in Louisiana.   

So now, here I am, entering art in the DKG Art Gallery at the sweet recommendation of Loretta Brehm, the daughter of the woman who had a vision to organize the Upsilon Chapter in New Orleans in November of 1940, Mrs. Loretta P. Brehm. That’s really quite sweet.” 

The Arts & Humanities Jury thanks our Louisiana sister, Valerie Millet, for sharing her artistic insights with our international sisterhood.  Remember, there is talent within all of us; just finding its pathway is the key to unlocking yours! 

We look forward to you returning often to view exciting new content and to share in the joy of creativity.   

Keep the conversation going, please use the comment section below to suggest new topics, ask questions, or give us your input.

2 comments:

Popular Posts