Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2021

Artist Spotlight…Linda S. Paslov, Ed.D.

    Tell us about the motivation for this piece, "Teaching Is..."

In my long career in education at both the PK-12 and higher education arenas, I have met and/or worked with teachers who have dedicated much time and energy to educate very diverse populations of learners. Regardless of the grade level, subject area, or students in front of them, however, they all share some universal experiences. They embrace a teacher’s lifestyle, where their students come first, and their bankbooks display the consequences. They consider their work as a calling that they cannot deny, requiring a constant acquisition of new knowledge. They view their roles as a service that warrants experimentation to supplement their toolkits. They exude a passion which, in turn, leads to student success and, ultimately, their own happiness. Their talent for teaching, while inherent, necessitates coaching which they will later pay forward. Finally, teachers unite with others to better the profession as a whole.

What plays an important part in your artistic writing process?  

It is important that I feel a real connection to the subject of my poem to begin the writing process. It must be meaningful to me. Once I have a topic (and, in the case of contests, being provided with a theme is really helpful), I begin to think about the meter that I will utilize, as well as which rhyme scheme I will incorporate. (I am a slave to rhyme and meter!) Finally, I allow the first few lines I write to dictate the structure of the stanzas. Throughout, alliteration, repetition, and other literary devices in poetry are incorporated to assist in the general musicality of my poems.

Do you write exclusively poetry or is there any other form of writing you do as well?  

Great question! I enjoy writing poetry, and several have been included in the Fine Arts Gallery. I have additionally won two national prizes through the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) American Heritage Contest competitions. However, I also have written and published two articles which have been featured in the Delta Kappa Gamma Bulletin Collegial Exchange, and another was included in Northeaster Regional Research Association (NERA) Conference Proceedings. I actually contributed a book chapter on curriculum two years ago (a Beta Chapter member was the lead writer/editor of this textbook), and included a poem called “Ode to Curriculum” in it! I also wrote a doctoral dissertation 15 years ago, which was a labor of love. Finally, I composed my first real song three years ago, which earned a 2nd place award in the DAR American Heritage Contest. I love to write—and was told years ago that these four words were instrumental in earning me my first job as an administrator!

What is the best piece of artistic advice you’ve been given? 

While I cannot recall who provided it, the advice was to practice your craft daily, even if it is only for a few minutes. For example, while I may not be actively engaged in writing a poem or article some days, I will still jot down a few words that sound interesting or pleasing to me, or even some ideas for a future poem. I advise aspiring writers to always keep a notebook, smart phone, computer, or even sticky notes nearby to keep track of these words, phrases, and ideas, as inspiration frequently strikes at unusual times. (I stock packs of stickies on my nightstand, along with a pen as, quite often, my brain works on poems even while I am asleep!) This advice makes so much sense to me. The performing arts require daily practice, so why not the fine arts? When you think about it, whose right side of the brain cannot benefit from a bit of daily stretching?

What does the value of the Creative Arts in Education mean to you?

I see the creative arts as a means of communication through which many students experience great success, even those who may not perform at the same level as their peers academically or through athletics. Every year that I was a math teacher, whether I was teaching 7th grade math or high school trigonometry, I assigned my students a project: create something that demonstrates how math is used in your hobby, future vocation, or something that you find interesting. I was truly amazed at the results, every single time. Whether my students drew an athletic field, designed and then sewed a patchwork skirt (by hand!), played an instrument, created an optical illusion, discussed the scoring in various sports or games, handcrafted a dodecahedron out of wood, created a perspective drawing—the list goes on and on—they were able to identify all the math that was necessary in completing the assignment. The creative arts, then, provide students a tool through which they may truly demonstrate an application of knowledge or even create something new—the highest level of Bloom’s Taxonomy—which is the fundamental goal of educating, isn’t it?

Is there one more thing you’d like us to know?

Yes! I really enjoy a variety of arts, not just writing. I have drawn our family holiday card for the past 33 years, sung soprano in two choirs (the Mendelssohn Choir of CT and the Stratford Sister Cities Chorus), played clarinet in two community bands, served as costume mistress for a high school theater arts program, designed and built sets for several marching band competitions (including a castle with a working drawbridge), stitched clothing and home décor on commission, crafted wooden and soft sculpture dolls, baked innumerable desserts, and sketched cartoons and portraits. Last year, I actually designed and sewed flight suits for my university’s charming robotic monkey named HAM (High Altitude Monkey), who makes flights in a foam capsule. (Note: The engineering department professor who mentored the students who were engaged in this grant-supported project is also a member of my Beta Chapter.)

  

Mother of three adult daughters (two of whom are DKG members), and grandmother to Abby, who is 3 years old. My dog, Schroeder, and rabbit, Javier, complete her family.

Linda has been the president of Beta Chapter in Connecticut for the past three years, and served as Education Excellence Chair for six years prior to this role. She is currently serving as Connecticut’s Fine Arts Chair.

Over the past 44 years, she has been an educator in multiple capacities and settings, teaching and leading in roles such as: a middle and high school math and reading teacher in an urban school district; a high school assistant principal and middle school principal in a suburban town; a district-wide director of curriculum, instruction, and assessments; an assistant professor of educational leadership; a director of a university’s school of education; and now a part-time director of an agriscience program. She embraces change and feels fortunate to have been able to reinvent herself many times in six different decades.

Special thanks to Beta Sister, Dr. Linda Paslov, for her expertise and enthusiasm for the creative arts and literary works.  Her enthusiasm is contagious just in sharing her spotlight with DKG members internationally.  Keep the conversation going on the Art Gallery blog with your comments or contributions.

The Fall 2021 Gallery Submission process will be opening from August 15th to September 15th, 2021.  We encourage you to get inspired and to share your talents with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts