Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

DKG – An International Society With Many Opportunities For International Exchange

Learn about how two of our members met and how their friendship developed.

Patricia Pemberton, North Carolina

It is with elevated excitement that I received an invitation from Marianne Skardeus in Sweden to join her in writing and sharing a blog of “International Exchange” for the Delta Kappa Gamma Society International. This will be my first attempt at writing a blog.

It was at the 2016 DKG International Convention in Nashville, Tennessee, that I connected with Marianne, Europe’s Regional Director. Prior to the convention I had read with interest her article titled, “Europe builds bridges across borders,” which was published in the 2016 May/June issue of DKG News. In her opening paragraph she wrote “The possibilities of international contacts and exchanges are a rewarding aspect of Society membership.” As a chapter president I reached out to Marianne because I wanted to build a bridge of communication connecting Delta Rho chapter in Sanford, North Carolina with her chapter in Skövde, Sweden. It is with this reflection that I open our international blog. I look forward to writing many entries which reveal our cultural exchanges.

Across our five years of communication there have been many exchanges of letters, photos, and emails. Our connection from my home in North Carolina and Marianne’s home in Sweden has been of some magnitude. There are many thoughts to share. Exchanges about holiday traditions, like placing feathers on an Easter tree, have been especially interesting. I attached the feathers Marianne sent to a tree among some of my décor.

I sent Marianne a garland of holly and berries to hang among her Christmas decorations. Among the other items I received was a special soft marshmallow candy in a JuleSkum wrapper as a holiday treat.

Sweden’s Midsummer May Pole festivities brought back childhood memories of dancing around a May Pole in elementary school. In one picture, which I received, I saw a miniature May Pole on the Skardeus dining table.

There are many other holiday traditions to share, but for now, I would like to close my entry with talk of the Crawdad Festival in Sweden during which friends and family gather at a long table where crawdads are served on large trays and eaten while laughter and singing make for celebration under party hats with glasses raised. I received pictures as proof of the frolic. Marianne sent me napkins, bibs, and other crawfish party décor so as to encourage me to boil my own crawdads. Next year the DKG International Convention will be in New Orleans, Louisiana, where Marianne and I will most likely get to eat crawdads while donning colored beads, which are an integral part of the Mardi Gras Festival.

A DKG International Blog is super way for members and friends to make cultural connections. I find this way of communicating exciting.

Marianne Skardéus, Sweden

Every time I am congratulating a friend with a birthday card I go to the box where I nowadays keep my cards. It is a box with the inscription Merry Christmas and reminds me every time of my friend Patricia in North Carolina and her generous Christmas gifts:

an elegant table runner with delicate embroidery, a wonderful Christmas garland, and other Christmas items. And thus, Patricia is often on my mind, not just at Christmas.

It was with great joy that I met Patricia Pemberton at our Convention in Nashville between a general session and a workshop. After one hour it was as if we had known each other for ever. We talked about what I had started at the Local Red Cross division, when I was vice chair: We also discussed using biking and swimming for women with a migrant background as a part of their integration. Patricia gave me stationery which had pictures from her hometown. It turned out that she is a very talented photographer. And throughout the years she has sent me many pictures from her wonderful garden and from her kitchen where she makes jam and bakes pies. 

Patricia has shared her work in her chapter, her love for her grandchildren, and her involvement in her church. Lately a new pastor was installed, and she sent me the program from this event. We have also been exchanging reading recommendations and this is so gratifying.

It has been very rewarding to have these email exchanges with Patricia. I have learned so much about how she is living her life in North Carolina and how she has been coping with life during the covid-19 period. She was very happy when she had her second vaccination shot.

DKG is an international society, and we should take advantage of our huge network! It has been such a joy to get to know Patricia!

 

Note from the International Educational Excellence Committee: We would love to hear from other DKG members about how you have connected with DKG members in other states and/or countries. Please consider sharing your experiences! Please let us know if we can help with the process.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts