Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Spotlight on Gallery Artist – Claire Rettenmund, Alpha Omega, Michigan

For this November blog, we are spotlighting DKG artist, Claire Rettenmund of Michigan, and her beautiful silk scarf paintings of ‘Flamingo’ and ‘Water Lilies’.

Claire is a retired elementary classroom teacher. Her entire career she taught in the Flint, Michigan public school system. Her original degree was a B.A. in Elementary Education with a minor in the Arts.  She continued with Masters in both Elementary Education and Educational Leadership. Assignments included all grades K-6 but most of her time was in Kindergarten and First grades. Art was always part of her curriculum when allowed.

Claire states: “A professor early in my education suggested I major in art but I preferred the idea of teaching children to read.”  Since childhood she has always dabbled in many different media. Her parents were both very creative and they encouraged her endeavors.

How did you decide on this form of art to work with?

After retirement I was painting miniature watercolor bird pendants for sale at the summer arts and crafts shows my husband and I worked. I needed to expand. I experimented and really liked this medium.

My scarves are on Habatoi silk and painted with a free-flowing concentrated fabric paint. It handles a little like watercolor so I immediately liked it.

What was your inspiration for these scarves and how did you go about doing them?

The scarves I submitted seemed to showcase some of the possibilities of silk painting. I first sketched the images on the silk. Using a washable gutta, which dries to create a barrier to contain a color in a designated area, I was able to form the flamingo, water lilies and leaves. Since you can't paint white, those areas are left paint free. Backgrounds are created using the flowing movement of paint on fabric to your advantage. When dry, the silk is heat set, washed, and pressed. The scarves remain hand washable thereafter.

 What is the best piece of advice that you can give someone, as an artist, or that was given to you? 

Art can be very relaxing, especially when painting. I get so involved in the piece that any nervous tension just disappears. My mind is absorbed in the process. I recommend art as an outlet to everyone. Do not worry about how your project turns out. One of my elementary education instructors advised that “it is all about the process, not the finished product.” 

In your view, what is the value of the creative arts in education?

Creative arts are important in education at all levels. Sadly, the arts in all forms have traditionally been the first programs cut from the school budget. My own son became a talented thespian due, in part, to an excellent high school program which was later removed from the curriculum. Everyone needs outlets from their stress filled lives and all art forms help balance right and left brained experiences.


Do you have anything else that you would like to share?

My husband and I stopped working arts and crafts shows after the pandemic started. I still make a few scarves and have a finished supply with images and designs which I hope to sell online.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Arts & Humanities Jury looks forward to you returning often to view exciting new content and to share in the joy of creativity.   

We invite you to view the Art Gallery, click here. 

Keep the conversation going, please use the comment section below to suggest new topics, ask questions, or give us your input. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts