Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

DKG Arts Gallery Blog: Artist’s Spotlight

An Open Artists’ Discussion on Creation, Technique & Opportunity

‘Fall Solitude’

Patti Simon - Maryland State Organization

1. Tell us about yourself as an educator and an artist.

I taught 9th and 10th grade English for 32 years at Lansdowne High School in Maryland. For part of that time, I also taught Theatre Arts, where I had students of every ability level in grades 9-12. When I taught literature in my English classes, I would sometimes have the students act out certain scenes to make the literature come alive. 

2. What was your inspiration in picking this scene and how did you go about doing it?

During the fall of 2020, my husband and I went for a walk in a local park. At about 3:45 in the afternoon, we came upon the hut that can be seen in my photograph. We first saw it from the other side. After walking past it, I turned around and noticed the way the light was illuminating certain objects while also creating shadows. I liked the serenity of the scene as well as the colors.

3. What kind of photographic device (camera, cell phone) did you use and any tips on taking it.

I used a digital camera. It has automatic focus and a pretty good capacity to zoom, which I used to eliminate other objects and focus on what is seen in the picture.

4. What is the best piece of advice given you as an artist/photographer or that you can give to someone else?

After I retired, my friend Wendy Happel encouraged me to audit a photography course that was being given by Craig Llewellyn, the high school photography teacher. These are some of the main lessons I learned in Craig’s class:

  • Lighting is important. Try taking a picture of the same subject/scene at different times of day.
  • Perspective is important. Try taking a picture of the same subject/scene from different angles.
  • Take lots of pictures. Something is bound to turn out.
  • Sometimes taking a good photograph is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
  • There are interesting subjects/scenes everywhere.
  • Photographs can capture the good, the beauty, the bad, the ugliness, and everything in between in nature and humanity, all of which make us more aware of the world around us.

5. In your view, what is the value of the creative arts in education?

The creative arts are extremely important in education. They give students a variety of ways to express their thoughts, feelings, and ideas through visual arts (painting, photography, sculpture, etc.), vocal

and instrumental music, dance, acting, and writing (poetry and prose). Also, through art, one can learn about a country’s culture, history, beliefs, etc.

6. Do you have anything else that you would like to share?

I first started taking pictures to preserve memories of people, places, and events. During the pandemic, I found it uplifting to take pictures of nature: sunsets, trees, flowers, butterflies, birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. Beauty and joy are everywhere if only we take the time to notice.

 

2 comments:

  1. Your description of your process made me feel like I was there beside you. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, your experience and your art work with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Jackie. I'm honored to be part of such a wonderful group of supportive women.

      Delete

Popular Posts