Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2022

Too Busy for Leadership!

How many times have we heard a member say, I’m too busy, I don’t have time?

Have those been thoughts inside your head? Then ask yourself this question, why were you selected for DKG membership? Why not your colleague? The answer is simple, someone saw leadership potential in you. And, you said yes! We want to help you find the time to be that leader.

We all know that life can get in the way of the things we want to do. So, how do some people manage to get things done while others can’t find the time? Here are a few ideas that may help you find the time, even when you feel too busy.

Trade favors – when my kids were young a neighbor and I would trade days for babysitting each other’s children giving each of us a day where we could do whatever we needed/wanted to do, even if it was just to be able to take a nap!

Office time – set aside a specific day and time when you will work on DKG tasks and stick to it. This has helped me so many times because it lets members know when I will be working on DKG items and gives them a suitable time to contact me.

Organize – how many years have you gotten out the holiday decorations and thought, if only I had them organized last year? I have that thought every year and then when I go to put them away, for a moment I think I will organize them, but I don’t. I just put them away quickly which means I’m back to square one next year. Organization only takes extra time at the beginning. Once you are organized, so much time is saved. Try different organizational tools to see what works best for you.

Build your confidence – speak kindly to yourself and about yourself. I have students write positive messages about themselves and stick them on their mirror so each day they see them and say them. Positive messages to yourself might include; I am worthy, I can do great things, and I will continue to be amazing. Building confidence helps you stay motivated to get things done.

Understand your real limits – in mathematics real limits are values above and below a specific value. To know your real limits would be to have an expectation as to the amount of time a particular task might take and then plus and minus another amount of time. This is what you should put aside to complete the task. This could give you time to borrow if you find you didn’t need as much as you thought. Oftentimes we underestimate the amount of time something will take so we are always behind. By having real limits, you would add in that buffer of additional time to the task at hand.

Shift your mindset – Leadership is a learning process. You don’t have to know or do everything. You will continue to learn and grow on the job. Don’t do it all. Good leaders share tasks to develop leaders.

Yield to your weaknesses and support your strengths – it’s actually a strength to know your weaknesses. Find someone whose strength is your weakness and work together. Win-win!

Try some of these suggestions and then respond to this blog and let us know how it goes. Are there other ideas that you have? Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts