Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

DKG Art Gallery Blog – Artist Spotlight

Ank Janssonius

The Netherlands State Organization – Alpha Chapter

For this exciting blog, we are traveling to The Netherlands, to spotlight Ank Janssonius. She was born in Amsterdam and still lives there. She was a geography teacher at the high school and at the World Travel School. She has always had an interest in art. That is why she paints, sculptures and does ceramics. Her mother painted professionally, and told Ank that she had no talent for painting. But years later she took back her words. In the summer of 1968 Ank went to Albuquerque, New Mexico and worked on the excavation of an Indian Pueblo village. For her, that was the start of cutting and shaping stones. Her teacher was Maarten Krabbé, the father of the famous actor Jeroen Krabbé. That was the start of her artistic life.

Around 1992 she started oil painting. Ank also started sculpting with clay. She worked with both two- and three- dimensional art methods. In 2014 she started working with ceramics, which was a combination of various art methods that she already used.

Her subjects go back to the time when she worked at the World Travel School. She travelled a lot back then and it still provides her with inspiration.

What plays an important part in your artistic process?

For me it is important that my artworks represent my feelings and look attractive. Nowadays, I often work on pieces with which I can please people and I enjoy it when my work is appreciated.

What is your preferred medium and why?

At this moment I prefer ceramics, because it is a combination of sculpture and painting.

What is the best piece of artistic advice you’ve been given?

The best advice given me is that my feelings must lead the way more than artistic theories. Sometimes, I am led by my experience of the present, that can be a thought or an image or sometimes even the news.

What does the value of Art in Education mean to you?

My idea is that it is important that youngsters learn to express themselves in various kinds of arts. I find that Art in Education is much under valued in The Netherlands.


As far as your two pieces of artwork, tell us what inspired you to do them and any special techniques that you used.

‘Ocean Island Woman’ began when a sculpture friend of mine sent as a black and white picture. She said this is something for you to work with. So, I created the colorful painting.

‘Montenegro Bride’ began when I saw a picture of her in the newspaper and decided to make it a three-dimensional image. It is still on my dining room table, and I look at her every day.

Is there one more thing you’d like us to know?

I am very grateful that I participated in the Art Gallery this year, and that I was asked to tell a bit more about myself for this blog.

**************************************************************************

The Arts & Humanities Jury looks forward to you returning often to view exciting new content and to share in the joy of creativity.

We invite you to view the Art Gallery, click here.

Keep the conversation going, please use the comment section below to suggest new topics, ask questions, or give us your input.

1 comment:

  1. I am captivated by your sculpture "Montenegro Bride". To me you have captured unique ways to represent our multicultural communities. When I look at her, I see a variety of colors, concepts of beauty, and love. Thank you for sharing, Ank. Does your art work follow cultural theme(s) or other expressive pathways?

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts