Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Spotlight on Gallery Artist – Priscilla Humay, Nu Alpha, Texas

Briefly tell us a little bit about yourself. 

Balancing life and learning with my four distinctly different and amazing children wove a surprising path for me.  I completed my formal education with post-graduate study at Charles University in Prague.  

Learning didn’t stop there. My education continues as each day provides me with the joyous opportunity to teach, learn, and discover.  

What is your preferred medium and why?   

My passion is drawing, painting, and mixed media. I love to experiment with colored pencil, graphite, and acrylic paint on 100% cotton paper, canvas and wood. My cameras are always on the alert to photograph a special moment that could have passed unnoticed.  

What plays an important part in your artistic process?   

At different seasons, I was twice awarded the Artist-in-Residence at Big Cypress National Preserve. Each month-long residency offered me solitary time to explore its natural beauty in reality. This experience inspired my artworks created and formulated there. 


 

 

“Cypress Strand” was created during this time and is now in a part of  the USA National Parks Collection through the US Department of the Interior.  

What is the best piece of artistic advice you’ve been given?  

The best advice that I ever welcomed was to create from what I know, see, and feel……. then to work in a correlated series of visual expression.  

What does the value of Art in Education mean to you? 

The History of Art through human endeavor and the knowledge of the basic Principles of Art can provide us with a vast understanding of our beautiful world.  

Is there one more thing you’d like us to know? 

Every human has the choice to open their realm for learning, creating, and teaching what they know. 

When photographing both “Shadow Play” and “Sisters”, I sought to compositionally capture a slice of emotion in time. 

“Shadow Play” A hot day in this little girl’s Arizona backyard. When she put her feet into water to make footprints that were drying as quickly as she made them. 

Sistersattend an outdoor performance. The early desert evening becomes chilly. The sisters cuddle closer for love and warmth. 

 


 

The Arts & Humanities Jury thanks our Texas sister, Priscilla Humay, for sharing her artistic insights with our international sisterhood.  Remember, there is talent within all of us; just finding its pathway is the key to unlocking yours!

The Arts & Humanities Jury looks forward to you returning often to view exciting new content and to share in the joy of creativity.   

Keep the conversation going, please use the comment section below to suggest new topics, ask questions, or give us your input. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful BLOG! I appreciate learning about DKG sisters and the work they create and submit to the gallery! As an art educator, I also appreciate the question about the value of art education - a core subject........

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts