Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2022

DKG Art Gallery Blog – Artist Spotlight

 Beverley Johns 

Illinois State Organization – Alpha Phi Chapter

Our latest artist is Beverley Johns, who is currently a learning and behavior consultant who worked within the public schools for over 33 years with students with significant emotional and behavioral problems; she also served as a Professional Fellow at MacMurray College where she taught courses in special education. Bev is the author of over 23 books, mostly non-fiction and four books of fiction. She is the Immediate Past President of Illinois State Organization and is the Membership Chair for her local DKG chapter, Alpha Phi.

What plays an important part in your artistic process?

I love to write and express my knowledge and thoughts through the process. I started writing books in 1995 after an editor heard a colleague and me speak and asked us to write a book. My colleague and I did just that, and I discovered how much I liked to write and share my ideas with others. Thanks to Delta Kappa Gamma I have broadened my artistic endeavors.

The pandemic gave me the time to experiment with different types of writing. When I was President of Illinois State Organization, I wrote a poem at least once a month for my President’s message.

As we experienced the pandemic, I started using poetry as a means to express my frustrations, thus the writing of my poem, ‘Finding My Way’. I also wrote more in essay form, such as Dodge Ball’. I found myself writing Op Ed pieces for the state newsletter on how to travel safely during the pandemic and the importance of being respectful of those who are immune compromised.

During the pandemic when we could not meet in person, we had our Illinois Creative Arts Retreat on Zoom. It was a fabulous experience and we all learned so much. I was also able to participate in the Arizona Creative Arts Retreat and some of the ongoing Texas creative arts activities. The pandemic and zoom made it possible to reach out to our members throughout the Society.

What is your preferred medium and why?

Writing. Books, op eds, and poetry, because I like to express my thoughts in a variety of different ways. Writing can also be a wonderful cathartic experience as well.

I have participated in writing groups for years and the pandemic provided a wonderful vehicle for joining together Arizona and Illinois sisters in a supportive writing group. It is so much fun to share with fellow DKG members.

I love to teach classes on writing for my DKG sisters. Having been an educator for so many years, I gain great delight in encouraging others to share their talents. 

I never thought I could paint or do Zentangle, but thanks to my DKG members in Illinois, I now find myself doing Zentangle as an emotional regulation tool. 

What is the best piece of artistic advice you’ve been given?

Begin the process. Don't put off discovering your artistic skills. As in my case, experience a creative rebirth that can get you through challenging times. Share your skills with others. Start small and recognize every bit of progress you make. Never let anyone discourage you -- surround yourself with encouragers.

What does the value of Art in Education mean to you?

Having worked with students with many learning and behavioral challenges, the arts is an integral part of the academic process and a wonderful opportunity for students to discover the interests and strengths they have. We must continue to integrate the arts into our school programs. 

Since I have co-authored two books dealing with trauma and the importance of the arts in helping those who have experienced trauma, I am a firm believer in helping students and adults to utilize the power of the arts to help them.

Prior to the pandemic, I was the lead author of a book on anxiety, and we provided many activities in the arts arena to assist students in dealing with their worries and fears.

 Is there one more thing you’d like us to know?


As a member of Delta Kappa Gamma, I love discovering the many talents of our members and recognizing them for those talents and the many contributions they make. I am forever grateful to DKG for giving me a voice and teaching me many ways to express my thoughts through the arts.

 

 

**************************************************************************

The Arts & Humanities Jury looks forward to you returning often to view exciting new content and to share in the joy of creativity. 

We invite you to view the Art Gallery, click here. 

Keep the conversation going, please use the comment section below to suggest new topics, ask questions, or give us your input. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your poem, "Finding My Way." Writing our thoughts in blogs and diaries and poetry are wonderful ways to explore our feelings and beliefs. Your poem is thought provoking and inspiring. Thank you for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts